Thursday, August 4, 2011

How I'm Using Social Media to My Advantage

Image: Little Bits of Lovely

Although many people may argue that right now is a super scary time to be entering the workforce (hello, terrible economy), I find that it is a very exciting time as well! As young adults and interns, we have an incredible amount of information and resources available to us through social media.

Industries like fashion and PR change constantly, so it is important to always be up to date on information. Also, I check my Twitter often because I learn so much from all of the people that I follow. Using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, and Blogs to your advantage is another way to always be one step ahead.

So, I decided to come up with a list of the Twitters and Blogs that I find most helpful as a fashion/PR intern:


DKNY: This is the official Twitter of a DKNY PR girl. This is a must-follow for PR hopefuls such as myself, because she is constantly tweeting relevant content about her field and offering up tips for others. She also has a great blog which can be found here.

OscarPRGirl: This is similar, but it is the Twitter of a PR girl for Oscar de la Renta. She also is a frequent Twitter-user and dishes out her own great advice. To top it all off, she has a gorgeous Tumblr that I can spend hours on!

nycPRgirls: This is the Twitter of three 20-something PR girls who live in New York City. They are super informative, as well a friendly! Their website is addicting and it is packed full of fun things like neighborhood guides of NYC, monthly PR TwitterTips, and helpful interview suggestions! This is an essential follow for a NYC intern.

ThePRCloset: This is a Twitter and blog that is part advice column/part a sneak peak at a day in the life of a working publicist. Alexis Rodriguez offers up "insider information on how to break into and make it big in this industry."

InternChic: They are a self proclaimed "fashion intern survival guide." They supply tips for interns, fashion related news, an internship/job listing, and more!

PRProfessor: Tom Handley, aka PRProfessor, tweets lots of great PR information, advice, and links to awesome PR articles! Unfortunately, I couldn't attend, but I've heard he was a VERY popular speaker at Fashion Campus NYC.

InternQueen, Ed2010, and FashionIntern are all great for internship/job searching.

Some other great ones: PRCouture, NYCinternz, CFDA, and PRSarahEvans.I also recommend you follow top designers, magazines, PR agencies, editors, bloggers, and other interns. All of these resources will supply you with a wide range of knowledge that you can use on a daily basis.

What are some other great fashion/PR related Twitters and Blogs that I left out?

No comments:

Post a Comment