Monday, August 15, 2011

A Book a Day Keeps the Doctor Away

Although I have been reading a lot this summer, I haven't been reading a book a day...but you get the point!

I commute into NYC via the LIRR for my internship. If you've ever had a long commute, then you know how painfully slow the time passes. I've found that the best way to pass the time is by reading! I absolutely love to read, so I've actually grown to love my time on the train.

My Twitter timeline constantly has people asking for good book recommendations, so I decided to do a blog post dedicated to some of my favorite books that I've read this summer.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett: This has been one of the most popular books during the past few months and it truly deserves all of that attention. The movie version starring Emma Stone actually just came out a few days ago as well, but I have yet to see it. The book is set in 1962 in Jackson, Mississippi and is about the relationships between white families in the South and their black help. A courageous, and dangerous project joins some very different women together. What I liked most about the novel is that it focuses in on a subject that people tend to avoid. It makes you think about what people went through in the past, as well as how things are in our world today. This book is a must read!


Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger: If you enjoyed The Devil Wears Prada, you will definitely like this book by the same author! This novel tells the story of a 20-something single woman living in NYC named Bette Robinson, who is struggling to mix her old life with her new job in public relations. I especially liked it because I too hope to have a career in PR one day! Although much of the PR world was overly dramatized and it focused too much on the party scene, this book was still a fun, easy read.

If You Have to Cry, Go Outside by Kelly Cutrone: Kelly Cutrone is known for being a tough, female power in the fashion PR world and this book gives a glimpse into her life. It is part memoir and part inspirational advice. I found it very interesting to hear about Kelly's background and to see how she got to be where she is. Also, her advice is extremely helpful for young interns looking to get into the fashion/PR industry such as myself. Kelly is known for her blunt, take-no-prisoners approach and her book certainly portrays this. I can't wait to read her follow up novel, Normal Gets You Nowhere, next!

Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler: If you have yet to read one of Chelsea Handler's books, stop what you are doing immediately and get yourself to a book store to buy one. Chelsea is hilariously funny and her books explain in great detail some of the bizarre, yet comical situations that she gets herself into. This is her third book after, My Horizontal Life, and Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea. All of her books will literally make you laugh out loud, but this one has been my favorite so far! Next, I can't wait to get my hands on the recently published, Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me.

I've read about twelve books this summer, but those are four of my favorites. Two other books that I am on a waiting list at my library for are Bossypants by Tina Fey and A Place of Yes by Bethenny Frankel. I can't wait to read them!

Do you have any great book recommendations for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment