Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Rome, Italy

I just returned from the most amazing vacation of my life. For nine days, I was abroad in Italy visiting Rome and Positano. This was my first trip to Europe so it was quite the experience. Not only do I feel that I came back more cultured and in awe of the world, but also a few pounds heavier! The sites were very educational, the scenery was gorgeous, and the food was delicious!

I decided to break my posts up because I have SO much to say. So, this first post will be exclusively about my time in Rome, the capital of Italy. The two things I loved the most about Rome were its history and its charm. The amount of art and historical sites in Rome is virtually unrivalled. I loved seeing things of such significance, as well as almost feeling like I was transported back to a different time period.

The Trevi Fountain at night

Two of the first things that I saw upon arriving in Rome were the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. The Trevi Fountain is absolutely stunning and gigantic! It was great by day, but at night it was so impressive that I didn't even mind how crowded it was. The Spanish Steps were also very crowded, but the view from the top was well worth it!

Some of Ancient Rome

The next day, we went to the site of Ancient Rome to see the Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, and the Colosseum. I still can't even believe that I was where the center of Roman life used to be. Every piece of crumbled marble at the Roman Forum is saturated in so much history and it was magnificent to experience.

The Colosseum

My favorite site though, was the Colosseum. It was so exciting to stand in the amphitheater where the most extreme events took place. Although it was not perfectly preserved, it was still easy to picture the Colosseum in all her glory, hosting about 65,000 Romans every other day. I was thrilled to be inside of something so historically significant and to envision the vicious spectacles that happened there.


The Pantheon


Later on that day, we took a trip over to the Pantheon. What was incredible about this building is how it is almost entirely intact even though it is from the 2nd-century-A.D. The inside was beautiful and the oculus at the top letting in the light was amazing.


Vatican City

The following day, we made our way over to Vatican City to see the Vatican Museums, the Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica. The Vatican Museums were very crowded and VERY hot. However, I did really enjoy seeing the Stanze di Raffaello (Raphael Rooms). After going through the lengthy museums, we finally ended up in the Sistine Chapel. I was absolutely awe-struck looking at the iconic ceiling by Michelangelo. It is stunning in person and deserves every ounce of fame that it has received.

A few other great sites we saw in Rome were Castel Sant'Angelo, Campo de' Fiori, Villa Borghese, Piazza Navona, and the Crypt of the Capuchin Monks.

Prada Roma

Finally, what would a trip to Rome be without some good shopping? In addition to hitting up local stores, we took the tourist-y route and went to Via Condotti where all of the luxury labels are located. Of course, I also had to take a picture in front of Prada in Rome because I am interning at Prada in New York this summer!

Although hot and crowded, I loved Rome! Next, will be a post from my time in Positano and the Amalfi Coast.

Have you ever been to Rome? What were some of your favorite sites?

No comments:

Post a Comment